Whole Wheat Braids
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, eggs, oil, salt and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into nine pieces; shape each piece into a 14-in. rope and braid three ropes together. Place in three greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 112 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Sep 13, 2010
This is delicious. I now make it regularly and my granddaughter who is 15 just asked for the recipe. Easy and delicious. Mine was done in about 35 minutes.
Aug 11, 2010
Although I have made bread for many years this is my first attempt at whole wheat bread. Easy, easy, easy recipe! And it turned out delicious. The only thing I did different was not bake it as long as stated. My 3 loaves were done in 35 minutes. Perfect! I will be making this again and again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.