- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Stir in blueberries. Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 10 times.
- Transfer dough to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into 12 wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forWhole Wheat Blueberry Scones
"they would have been much better with salt added to the recipe."
"The batter was very sticky. They came out ok, but I had to cut the baked scones apart. They certainly tasted healthy, but I prefer traditional scones, so will probably not make this recipe again."
"The batter was so runny I could'nt do anything with it. Maybe the ingredients are wrong in the receipe."