Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (10 slices each)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium navel orange, peeled and sectioned (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 medium ripe banana
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a food processor or blender, process the oranges, bananas, sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- Pour into two 8x4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 154 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 16, 2014
Very moist and delicious! Breakfast in a bread! Going to lightly toast in a pan with some butter spray then put some pb and a slice and orange marmalade on another for breakfast tomorrow. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.
Jan 20, 2010
I have mad this twice now! Both times have been moist and delicious! Since, I run out of ingredients often, I make lots of substitutions. Like using crushed shredded wheat cereal instad of wheat germ and brown sugar for white. Also, added 1 cup fresh cranberries and left out salt. Still comes out perfectly!