Whole Grain Loaf
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cottage cheese, honey, oil, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in whole wheat and rye flours, oats, wheat germ and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- Tun onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 75 minutes.
- Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into a ball. Place on a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 120 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 1, 2010
Didn't have rye, so I used double oats and threw in some flax, too. My kids loved it and so did I!
Mar 17, 2010
I have made this bread at least six times and it is excellent. However, I had to increase the water to one cup. It makes a larger than average loaf.