Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup candied or crystallized ginger, optional
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. In a small bowl, combine the butter and molasses. Add to the flour mixture; mix until ingredients are moistened. Stir in water. Beat egg in buttermilk; stir into batter until well mixed. If desired, fold in ginger.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Oct 5, 2015
This gingerbread is so good! My husband is not a big fan of whole grain foods, but he enjoyed this as much as I did. We especially liked the addition of the candied ginger!
Dec 7, 2009
This is the best gingerbread. Easy to make and with the candied ginger puts it over the top.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.