- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set (do not brown). Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat butter, shortening and vanilla until blended. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and enough milk to reach spreading consistency; beat 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. If desired, beat in food coloring. Frost cookies. (Keep frosting covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forWhite Velvet Cutouts
"Like a below reviewer, I also made half the recipe. I added extra flour and the dough was still very sticky, thus my four star rating. The end result was delicious cookies, but I doubt I'll use this recipe again for cutout cookies. If I do make it again, I think I'll have an easier time rolling the dough into balls and flattening them slightly before baking."
"Have made these for a number of years also. Maybe if Deborah hadn't tried to make only a half of a batch, the recipe would have worked out. If they are too sticky, a little extra flour can sometimes help. Love these and the cream cheese keep them so soft."
"Disaster of a recipe.... don't try this.... was a sticky sticky mess. I did as I normally do with roll out cookies... I roll out the dough between 2 sheets of parchment and put in refrig for an hour... tried to cut out the cookies and it was such a sticky mess... could not get the cookies onto the pan to bake them... will never, never try this recipe again.... good thing I did half the recipe..I ended up throwing the dough in the trash... I will go and use another recipe..."
"Everyone always goes crazy about these cookies!"
"I have been making these for YEARS. I received this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine back in the '90's. These are a HIT every time I make them. Absolutely delicious and so easy to make. The cream cheese in the dough is amazing! These are always the favorite when we give cookies away at Christmas."
"When people request the recipe you know it's a hit"
"Make these every Xmas and they are delicious. The cream cheese really adds something to the batter over a plain sugar cookie. Try them!"
"Good for cutout cookies"
"I've been making these for a couple of years now. This is a favorite among my family and friends."