White Texas Sheet Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. In a small saucepan, combine butter and water; bring just to a boil. Stir into flour mixture. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and extract until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes.
- For frosting, combine butter and milk in a large saucepan; bring just to a boil. Remove from heat; gradually stir in confectioners' sugar and extract. Stir in walnuts. Spread over warm cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 409 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 12, 2019
I made this cake almost exactly per the recipe. The only difference is I waited more than 20 minutes to spread the frosting on the cake, which did make it a bit hard to spread, but with a little patience I got it done. This cake is AMAZING and very easy to make, as cakes go. The frosting is sweet, but, hey, it's CAKE! We absolutely loved this cake. My husband and I both ate two pieces and I portioned out the rest, wrapped and froze for the future. I will definitely never let this recipe go. Also, I did toast the walnuts in the oven at 350º for 8 minutes and they were delicious.
Feb 6, 2019
Very moist and flavorful. A bit more labor intensive than I prefer to make.
Jun 23, 2018
Wow! I made this cake last night, 06/21/2018, it’s amazing! I love the almond extract in both the frosting and the cake. The frosting is quite sweet, but so delicious. I followed the recipe, with no modification. I set a timer for 20 minutes, to allow the cake to cool from the oven, then immediately spread the frosting, as directed. The cake is still warm and the frosting spread fairly easily. This is a new favorite dessert!
Apr 26, 2018
Apr 14, 2018
Cake is very good. Frosting, not so much. This calls for way too much powdered sugar. If you use the frosting recipe, cut the sugar back. Not spreadable and will tear the cake.Ended up making a browned butter frosting. Sprinkled toasted almonds on top. Perfect.
Apr 14, 2018
With the addition of a bit more almond extract in the cake and the frosting, it was a big hit when I served it.
Apr 14, 2018
I've been making this for years, maybe 20, ever since I first tasted it. It was love at first taste! It is great for potlucks and funeral luncheons, etc. It's best to make it for an event to keep from eating it all oneself. I use pecans because that's my favorite. Almonds make the most sense. It does improve with age.
Apr 13, 2018
The frosting was very grainy, made exactly as recipe stated. The cake portion of the recipe was excellent.
Apr 13, 2018
Loved this cake. Made it exactly as written and it was perfect.
Apr 7, 2018
The cake but good but hate the frosting. I made it exactly the way it was written and it was too stiff to spread on the cake. I would probably make the cake again but use a cream cheese frosting with almond extract. Kinda dissapointed after reading how good it was from all reviewers.