White Texas Sheet Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Sugar In The Raw
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. In a small saucepan, combine butter and water; bring just to a boil. Stir into flour mixture. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and extract until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes.
- For frosting, combine butter and milk in a large saucepan; bring just to a boil. Remove from heat; gradually stir in confectioners' sugar and extract. Stir in walnuts. Spread over warm cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 409 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 21, 2019
I forgot to mention that I reduced the sugar to 1 3/4 cups. Plenty sweet enough.
Sep 7, 2019
This is a really delicious cake! Soft, moist cake, perfect icing. Made according to recipe without changing a thing. This cake is a keeper. The butter really makes this cake...GOOD! I wouldn't use margarine, because margarine, I believe would downgrade this wonderful cake. Perfect flavor and not too strong and overpowering. Will make again!
Jul 22, 2019
This looks really good, but I'm just wondering - has anyone tried it with gluten-free baking mix? I'd like to bake it and bring it in to work for a co-worker's birthday, and this co-worker is gluten-intolerant.
Jul 17, 2019
Moist and tasty!
Jul 11, 2019
Rich and delicious!
Jul 11, 2019
Easy and moist, with a great flavor. I made this cake for my sons after reading Robert’s very touching 5/16/19 review, below. Your mother will always be with you, Robert; she obviously raised you well. Keep cooking and baking those Taste of Home recipes!
Jul 10, 2019
I have a question, can you use Pecans instead of Walnuts? I am not a fan of Walnuts.
Jul 10, 2019
This cake is good. The only thing is, no self respecting Texas would ever use walnuts instead of pecans.
Jun 26, 2019
I loved the cake itself but didn't like the frosting at all. I frosted half the cake with it, decided I didn't like the look or taste of it so I made up a quick cream cheese frosting for the other half. I will definitely make the cake again again though.
May 16, 2019
My Mother made this cake after she got her Taste Of Home magazine. Made it for Christmas gifts. My Mother always loved the chocolate cakes. However she did fall in love with this one as it is very very moist. Melts in your mouth as she said. The taste is amazing. I still have all my Mothers Taste Of Home magazines each one in a plastic zip lock bag. I make this cake on Mother's Day now and Christmas Just wish I still had my Mother. Thank you Mother for teaching me how to cook and enjoy the art of homemade food. And the rewards of cooking from scratch.