White Chocolate Holiday Cake
At our house, we always bake a birthday cake for Baby Jesus on Christmas Eve. The delicious tradition helps remind us all of the true meaning of the season that we are celebrating.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 6 ounces white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1-1/2 cups of sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition; set aside. Gradually stir buttermilk into white chocolate; add vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with chocolate mixture, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, a tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Fold in pecans and coconut.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter, sugar, vanilla and 3 tablespoons milk at low speed in a large bowl until moistened. Beat on medium for 1-1/2 minutes, adding additional milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread between layers and over the top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 773 calories, 41g fat (23g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 98g carbohydrate (76g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as White Chocolate Holiday Cake in Country Woman Christmas Volume 1
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.