White Chocolate Bread Pudding
This delectable dessert features vanilla chips, apples and a sweet caramel sauce. It's a favorite with our boys.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (1 pound) egg bread, crust removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, cream and sugar. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in chips until melted. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla. Gradually whisk in cream mixture. Add bread. Let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in apples. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 30 minutes longer or until a knife comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, In a large saucepan combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 295° and mixture turns deep amber.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cream. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 4 minutes. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Stir before serving. Serve warm with warm bread pudding.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 583 calories, 34g fat (17g saturated fat), 206mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as White Chocolate Bread Pudding in Country Woman Christmas 2003