White Cheddar Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) small pasta shells
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Manchego or additional white cheddar cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Add to pasta; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 650 calories, 35g fat (22g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 4, 2018
I was excited to try this macaroni and cheese because I love white cheddar. I think that it was the chipotle powder that wasn't quite my taste. This also had a lot of sauce. Not sure why, as I followed the directions step by step. I might try this again with some of my own modifications.
Oct 17, 2018
I followed initial part of recipe without changes. However, as we often do since it is only the two of us, we cook pasta slightly under, divide into 3 casserole dishes (top it with whatever I’m feeling) and change it from stovetop recipe to Baked. Tonight, I topped with Panko and Parm. (Two for freezer) Creamy, delicious Mac and Cheese! Love the sharpness of the white cheddar!
Jun 30, 2018
I hated this recipe..
Jan 26, 2018
I made this recipe almost as written and it is delicious. The one thing I did differently was to bake it for about 20-25 minutes until the top was bubbly and a little bit browned. I have made it twice now. Delicious!
Jan 10, 2018
I made this recipe as written, except I used 1% milk because that’s what I had. It was easy to make and we loved the flavor. I will definitely be making this recipe again!
Oct 23, 2017
Good recipe. We had it with grilled chicken and a salad. My child that doesn't care for mac n' cheese because it is too cheesy, ate it. Good enough amount to make every one happy in this house.