White Beans & Bow Ties
When we have fresh veggies, we toss them with pasta shapes like penne or bow ties. For add-ins, think heirloom tomatoes, onion and garlic. —Angela Buchanan, Longmont, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat bow tie pasta (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute zucchini until crisp-tender, 2-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, beans, olives and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until tomatoes are softened, 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pasta and enough pasta water to moisten as desired. Stir in cheese.
Health Tip: Boost protein in meatless pasta dishes by using whole wheat noodles, adding white beans or stirring in a little cheese—or all three!