It tastes like it's from scratch, but my Italian-inspired soup uses lots of shortcuts. For a meatball in every bite, chop them up—with an egg slicer! —Carole Lotito, Hillsdale, New Jersey
Recommended: 56 Flavor-Packed Healthy Soup Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 12 ounces frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs (about 3 cups), thawed
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups coarsely chopped escarole (1 bunch) or fresh spinach
- Thinly sliced fresh basil, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and pepper; cook and stir 1 minute.
Stir in meatballs, carrots and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in beans and escarole; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until escarole has wilted, about 10 minutes. If desired, top servings with basil.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as White Bean Soup with Meatballs in Simple & Delicious April/May 2017