- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 bunch escarole or spinach, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Stir in orzo and escarole. Return to a boil; cook 12-14 minutes or until orzo is tender. Add beans; heat through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle servings with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forWhite Bean Soup with Escarole
"Excellent recipe!! Added a pack of sausages so my meat-eater husband would eat the soup tooGreat with and without meat!"
"Absolutely amazing!!!! The flavor of the broth is to die for. This will be made over and over again! A new family favorite. Thanks for sharing this simple yet most delicious soup!"
"I rate this soup five star because of how easy it is to make. Yes, I made some changes, but I used enough of the basic recipe to know that if you make it as written exactly, you will not be disappointed. One, I doubled the ingredients because I wanted left overs. Two, I added some mushrooms to the soup and I used baby spinach instead of escarole and I didn't bother chopping it. I did not use two cups of regular orzo pasta and instead used approximately 1 3/4 cups because I wanted more soup and less pasta. I also added cut up chicken to the soup. I will make it again using these changes."
"Made this yesterday Excellent!!!!!! Will make again.Could not find whole wheat Orzo, so I used small shells also added some cubed ham DELICIOUS!!!"
"Yum! I used spinach an added some chopped cooked chicken, and a little salt to pep it up."
"This soup is absolutely delicious - especially with fresh, chopped spinach and freshly grated parmesan cheese. I've made it 3 times and always get rave reviews."
"this soup was excellent, i used spinach instead of the escarole.. soup did come out a little thick, i might add just a little more broth to the recipe. next time. , soup has alot of garlic flavor but otherwise its perfectly seasoned. i would definetly make this again. i loved it. this soup was very colorful and fancy enough to serve to your guests"