White Bean Soup with Escarole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 bunch escarole or spinach, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Stir in orzo and escarole. Return to a boil; cook 12-14 minutes or until orzo is tender. Add beans; heat through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle servings with cheese. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup soup with 1-1/2 teaspoons cheese: 174 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 572mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 8g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jan 5, 2018
While this had excellent flavor, I added about 1/2 cup of elbow noodles to it (because I couldn't find orzo), and they swelled up so much, it was hilarious! :) I will make this next time, and omit the noodles or orzo, because I really think this soup will be better without them.
Dec 9, 2017
Delicious. I added Andouie sausage and 3 cans of beans instead of 1. Great with crusty bread!!!
Mar 23, 2017
This soup was incredibly good! It was really easy to make, too. Be sure to use the reduced sodium chicken broth, though. I used regular and it was still good, but a bit salty.
Jan 17, 2017
Excellent recipe!! Added a pack of sausages so my meat-eater husband would eat the soup tooGreat with and without meat!
Jan 15, 2017
Absolutely amazing!!!! The flavor of the broth is to die for. This will be made over and over again! A new family favorite. Thanks for sharing this simple yet most delicious soup!
May 2, 2016
I rate this soup five star because of how easy it is to make. Yes, I made some changes, but I used enough of the basic recipe to know that if you make it as written exactly, you will not be disappointed. One, I doubled the ingredients because I wanted left overs. Two, I added some mushrooms to the soup and I used baby spinach instead of escarole and I didn't bother chopping it. I did not use two cups of regular orzo pasta and instead used approximately 1 3/4 cups because I wanted more soup and less pasta. I also added cut up chicken to the soup. I will make it again using these changes.
Jan 9, 2015
Made this yesterday Excellent!!!!!! Will make again.Could not find whole wheat Orzo, so I used small shells also added some cubed ham DELICIOUS!!!
Nov 13, 2014
Yum! I used spinach an added some chopped cooked chicken, and a little salt to pep it up.
May 7, 2014
This soup is absolutely delicious - especially with fresh, chopped spinach and freshly grated parmesan cheese. I've made it 3 times and always get rave reviews.
Apr 10, 2014
this soup was excellent, i used spinach instead of the escarole.. soup did come out a little thick, i might add just a little more broth to the recipe. next time. , soup has alot of garlic flavor but otherwise its perfectly seasoned. i would definetly make this again. i loved it. this soup was very colorful and fancy enough to serve to your guests
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.