White Bean ‘n’ Olive Toasts
This appetizer is one of my favorites to serve to guests at holiday get-togethers.—Shirley A. Glaab, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 10 pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 18 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- In a small bowl, mash 1 cup beans. Add the olives, 1 tablespoon parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread with mashed bean mixture. Sprinkle with tomatoes, and remaining beans and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 56 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Originally published as White Bean and Olive Spread in Country Woman Christmas 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.