White Bean Chicken Chili
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, quartered cherry tomatoes and chopped cilantro
- Toss chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until browned. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender. Add jalapeno, garlic, oregano and cumin; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mash 1 cup beans; stir in 1/2 cup broth. Stir bean mixture and the remaining whole beans and broth into chicken mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 3-3-1/2 hours. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese; add toppings if desired. Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 344 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 894mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 2, 2018
This is a very good recipe, BUT. I changed a few things. here is what I did & it turned out DELICIOUS . 2pds of skinless chicken, 5 cups of broth ( I use" Better Than Bouillon Chicken Flavored" its in a jar. LOVE THIS STUFF) , 1.5 Cup of heavy whipping cream, 4 stalks of celery, 1 small sweet onion, 3 teaspoons of minced garlic, 1 tea. cumin, 2 tea. oragano, 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, salt & pepper, 5 cans of northern kidney beans, boiled chicken, shredded the chicken, added everything in crock pot, then added INSTANT MASH POTATOES ( it works GREAT on thicken the sauce, plus great taste) sprinkle some in, stir, thickens instantly, I just judge the thickness. cover & cook on high for 3 hrs. it makes a lot, so I'm sure I will be sharing with family or freezing some.
Feb 12, 2018
A very easy and excellent recipe. It's not going to be that thick chili-consistency, but the heat level is nice and kid-friendly as advertised. I made a few slight alterations: I used about 1 lb of chicken and 1 additional can of beans, since we like our chilies and soups on the chunkier side. I reduced the broth to 2 cups and used liquid from the canned beans when I crushed the 1/2 cup of beans as directed - though I did this with a fork, so it wasn't perfectly smooth. The flavors are a nice blend, although I think I will increase the oregano and cumin to compensate for having more chicken and beans next time. The additions of cheese, avocado, and cherry tomatoes are delicious, and oyster crackers are good, too. My very picky son ate seconds - unprompted! Definitely a winner in my book!
Jan 1, 2018
It was ok. Since some commented it was more soup than chili, I did add more chicken. I didn't adjust any of the spices so maybe that's why it seemed a little bland. Even with the extra chicken there was way more onion than I ever care to have. It reeked of onion when I lifted the lid. Maybe this is a good base to start off at, but I wouldn't make it as written again.
Nov 14, 2017
Easy recipe, it tasted really good. Excellent flavor. My only issue was that it was more soup than chili, which many other reviewers said. It would be nice if it were quite a bit thicker. Then I would have given it 5 stars. I did really like it, and I will probably monkey with the recipe some more.
Jul 2, 2017
We love white chili!! This recipe is one of the best. The favors come right through!! We will fix this again and again!!
Jan 26, 2017
I made this last year an forgot to say how GREAT this is!. I doubled it as she does, an I did not see the need for the cheese which makes it low fat. More of a soup texture which is fine an it has a wonderful flavor. Followed the recipe as I always do the first time I make it, an will not make any changes. Easy an excellent!
Jan 18, 2017
Excellent, easy to follow recipe. We really enjoyed it and will definitely make it again.
Jan 31, 2016
We really enjoyed the flavor of this dish. It was a little more like soup than chili but that did not bother us. I will definitely make this again. Super fast and tasty meal!
Jan 27, 2016
My family says they did not enjoy this recipe but I thought it was mighty tasty. My husband and two boys only ate a couple spoonfuls but I finished two bowls without a problem.
Jan 24, 2016
My family of four loved this dish. My nine year said it tasted like a chicken burrito and gave it a ten! I think I will double the recipe next time so we will have enough left over for an easy weeknight dinner. ??