- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, quartered cherry tomatoes and chopped cilantro
- Toss chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until browned. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender. Add jalapeno, garlic, oregano and cumin; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mash 1 cup of the beans; stir in 1/2 cup broth. Stir bean mixture and the remaining whole beans and broth into chicken mixture.
Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 3-3-1/2 hours. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese; add toppings if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forWhite Bean Chicken Chili
"easy recipe, it tasted really good. Excellent flavor. My only issue was that it was more soup than chili, which many other reviewers said. It would be nice if it were quite a bit thicker. Then I would have given it 5 stars. I did really like it, and I will probably monkey with the recipe some more."
"We love white chili!! This recipe is one of the best. The favors come right through!! We will fix this again and again!!"
"I made this last year an forgot to say how GREAT this is!. I doubled it as she does, an I did not see the need for the cheese which makes it low fat. More of a soup texture which is fine an it has a wonderful flavor. Followed the recipe as I always do the first time I make it, an will not make any changes. easy an excellent!"
"Excellent, easy to follow recipe. We really enjoyed it and will definitely make it again."
"My family says they did not enjoy this recipe but I thought it was mighty tasty. My husband and two boys only ate a couple spoonfuls but I finished two bowls without a problem."
"This is a very good recipe for white chili. It is a little thin and more like soup when made exactly as written. I substitute a cup of heavy whipping cream for one of the cups of chicken broth which gives it a very creamy and thicker sauce. I've used chicken I've cooked myself, canned chicken and rotisserie chicken at different times and all of them work well in the recipe."
"Very good. It was a bit runny and I will probably mash another can of beans for thickening and maybe add a can of chopped green chiles next time. All in all we loved it."