White Bean Bisque
Cute parmesan crisps make a zippy topping for this rich, full-flavored soup from Linda Miranda of Wakefield, Rhode Island. "We love the Italian sausage garnish," she says.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sherry, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Spoon Parmesan cheese into six mounds 3 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spread into 1-1/2-in. circles. Sprinkle with a dash of cayenne. Bake at 400° for 5-6 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool.
- In a saucepan, cook sausage and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute garlic for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in the beans, broth, cream, sherry if desired, parsley, salt, thyme and a dash of cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until heated through. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; cover and process on high until almost blended. Pour into soup bowls; sprinkle with sausage mixture and Parmesan crisps.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 440 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1256mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 8g fiber), 24g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Bean Bisque with Spicy Parmesan Crisps in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006