Cute parmesan crisps make a zippy topping for this rich, full-flavored soup from Linda Miranda of Wakefield, Rhode Island. "We love the Italian sausage garnish," she says.
Recommended: 50 Recipes to Make the Most of the Fall Harvest
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sherry, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Spoon Parmesan cheese into six mounds 3 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spread into 1-1/2-in. circles. Sprinkle with a dash of cayenne. Bake at 400° for 5-6 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool.
- In a saucepan, cook sausage and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute garlic for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in the beans, broth, cream, sherry if desired, parsley, salt, thyme and a dash of cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until heated through. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; cover and process on high until almost blended. Pour into soup bowls; sprinkle with sausage mixture and Parmesan crisps. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as White Bean Bisque in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p24