Filled with beans and fiber, this colorful salad from Darlene Strommer of Avon, Minnesota makes a good-for-you addition to any meal. “I like to keep dishes like this one on hand for my growing teenage son,” Darlene notes.
Recommended: 39 Quick Vegetarian Meals for Winter Weeknights
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook onion in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, peppers, parsley, sugar substitute, salt, pepper and onion. Stir in beans. Chill until serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as White and Black Bean Salad in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p63