Everyone in my family loves this recipe and its sweet marinade with ginger, pineapple and a splash of whiskey. Want even more intense flavor? Let the chicken marinate for two full days. Wow! —Jodi Taffel, Altadena, California
Recommended: Throw the Ultimate Vintage Dinner Party
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups bourbon
- 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup sliced sweet red pepper
- 1 cup sliced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Whisk together bourbon, pineapple juice, hoisin sauce, ginger, 1 tablespoon pepper, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt until blended. Place chicken in a shallow dish. Add half of marinade; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate, overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain chicken, discarding the marinade. Grill chicken, covered, on a greased grill rack over medium-high direct heat until a thermometer reads 170°, 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, toss pepper and onion slices in oil and remaining salt and pepper. Grill, turning frequently, until soft, 5-7 minutes. In a small saucepan on the grill, cook reserved marinade over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Chop grilled pepper and onion. Sprinkle over chicken; serve with sauce. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Whiskey Pineapple Chicken in Taste of Home June/July 2017
Reviews forWhiskey Pineapple Chicken
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 20, 2017
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2017
"Made this for the 4th of July--I call it "Firecracker chicken"! It's an explosion of flavor. Love the sauce it makes and it is a nice marinade to make ahead. Only regret there were NO leftovers!"