Whipped Vegetable Trio
When you only have a few potatoes and want them mashed, fill in with parsnips -a root vegetable similar in shape to a carrot. The first frost of the season turns their starch to sugar, giving parsnips a subtle, sweet taste. Cook potatoes, carrots and parsnips together for a twist on garden-variety whipped potatoes. —LeAnn Bird, West Jordan, Utah
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh chives or parsley, optional
- Place the first four ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Place vegetables in a large bowl; add the salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid. Mash until creamy. Garnish with chives if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 258 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 831mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Whipped Potato Trio in 2013 Taste of Home Annual Recipes