Whipped Vegetable Trio
When you only have a few potatoes and want them mashed, fill in with parsnips -a root vegetable similar in shape to a carrot. The first frost of the season turns their starch to sugar, giving parsnips a subtle, sweet taste. Cook potatoes, carrots and parsnips together for a twist on garden-variety whipped potatoes. —LeAnn Bird, West Jordan, Utah
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh chives or parsley, optional
- Place the first four ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Place vegetables in a large bowl; add the salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid. Mash until creamy. Garnish with chives if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 258 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 831mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Whipped Potato Trio in 2013 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.