Wheat Berry Salad with Artichokes and Cranberries
Every year at Christmastime, I serve this hearty and colorful salad. If you like, prepare it ahead of time and remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. —Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Deleware
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook 1 hour
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups wheat berries
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add wheat berries and 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 55-60 minutes or until softened. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine wheat berries and 1/2 cup Italian dressing. Cool.
- Add tomatoes, artichoke hearts, cranberries, green and ripe olives, capers and basil. Pour remaining dressing over top; toss to coat. Season with pepper and remaining salt. Top with blue cheese.
Originally published as Winter Wheatberry Salad with Artichokes and Cranberries in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.