Wheat Berry Salad with Artichokes and Cranberries
Every year at Christmastime, I serve this hearty and colorful salad. If you like, prepare it ahead of time and remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. —Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Deleware
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook 1 hour
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups wheat berries
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add wheat berries and 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 55-60 minutes or until softened. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine wheat berries and 1/2 cup Italian dressing. Cool.
- Add tomatoes, artichoke hearts, cranberries, green and ripe olives, capers and basil. Pour remaining dressing over top; toss to coat. Season with pepper and remaining salt. Top with blue cheese.
Originally published as Winter Wheatberry Salad with Artichokes and Cranberries in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013