Onion soup mix accents the flavor of this easy beef-and-rice combo shared by Carol Trussler, "Just add a green salad, and your meal is ready," says the Petersburg, Ontario cook. TIP: Don't have these exact ingredients on hand? Feel free to replace the frozen peas with corn or green beans, or use Swiss cheese instead of shredded cheddar cheese.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomatoes, rice, peas and soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
May 11, 2012
This reminded me of a dish my mother used to make when I was young. It was very nice and easy to prepare. I actually forgot to put the cheese on at the end but it was yummy anyway.