"I love to fix this saucy casserole for potluck dinners or when I need to feed a crowd," shares Janice Thompson of Martin, Michigan. "The zippy potatoes go well with grilled foods such as barbecued chicken and beef shish kabobs."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 cooked medium red potatoes, cubed
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute red pepper and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the soup, milk, chilies, salt, cayenne if desired and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until melted. Add potatoes; stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes for until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Originally published as Western Potatoes in Quick Cooking July/August 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.