- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- Place potatoes and parsnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash potato mixture. Add the milk, butter, salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; mash until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, mint, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, allspice and remaining pepper. Crumble lamb over mixture and mix well.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and celery in oil over medium heat until tender. Add lamb mixture; cook and stir until lamb is no longer pink; drain.
- Place lamb mixture in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with peas. Spread potato mixture over peas. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forWest Virginia Shepherd's Pie
"Love this recipe! My first time using ground lamb. Lamb, mint, nutmeg and rosemary flavors go well together. Irish restaurant flavors."