- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Place garlic, ginger and oil in a large skillet. Cook and stir over medium-low heat 5-7 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, coconut milk, tomato paste and salt; bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add shrimp. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice and, if desired, cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forWest African Shrimp
"As I cooking, the dish was very bland. I could not even taste the ginger. I ended up adding about 1 1/2 teaspoon of curry and my family really enjoyed the dish."