West African Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- Cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown steak and onions in oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Stir in the cabbage, green peppers and zucchini. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Just before serving, stir in peanut butter and sprinkle with cayenne. Serve with rice if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Just before serving, stir in peanut butter and sprinkle with cayenne. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 255 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jul 6, 2014
Amazing! This is a keeper. I used yellow squash just because my husband prefers it. My husband and I loved it! Yummy!
Sep 27, 2011
This recipe is so tasty it has the perfect balance of sweet and spicy! I really enjoyed it and WILL be making it again!
Dec 13, 2009
This was pretty spicey, but good. Needs lots of rice to help with the heat.