West African Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- Cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown steak and onions in oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Stir in the cabbage, green peppers and zucchini. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Just before serving, stir in peanut butter and sprinkle with cayenne. Serve with rice if desired. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Just before serving, stir in peanut butter and sprinkle with cayenne. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 255 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jul 6, 2014
Amazing! This is a keeper. I used yellow squash just because my husband prefers it. My husband and I loved it! Yummy!
Sep 27, 2011
This recipe is so tasty it has the perfect balance of sweet and spicy! I really enjoyed it and WILL be making it again!
Dec 13, 2009
This was pretty spicey, but good. Needs lots of rice to help with the heat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.