Welsh Tea Cakes
These longtime family favorites are crisp on the outside, slightly chewy in the center and full of currants. The dough is not overly sweet, so sprinkling the tops with sugar enhances the flavor and gives them a nice look.—Wendy Lehman, Huron, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup dried currants
- Additional sugar, optional
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the sugar, oats and nutmeg. Stir in the eggs and milk. Fold in currants.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 12-16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 111 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.