Wearing o’ Green Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lime gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Green sprinkles
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water and set aside.
- With a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes about 2 in. apart into cooled cake. Slowly pour gelatin over cake. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Decorate with sprinkles. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 303 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 24, 2020
My mom has been making this cake since I was a kid! The only thing we do differently is swap out the Cool Whip for home made whipped cream using a pint of heavy whipping cream and 2 Tbsp. of confectioner's sugar. We also use the vanilla pudding and milk. It's now become my kids' favorite cake!
Mar 22, 2019
My daughter and I made this together. It was fun to make and was really yummy. We liked that it wasn't overly sweet or heavy. It will be fun to experiment with different flavors.
Mar 6, 2019
I love poke cake. I made this last St. Pat's day and forgot to comment. Making again this year. Was a big hit. I liked the use of pudding and cool whip both for frosting. I have always topped my poke cakes with cool whip only. Nice and creamy. Love the lime flavor. Perfect for this special day. Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.
Mar 21, 2018
My 11 year old didn't like this....but then she is not a jello fan. My husband liked it and I thought it was okay. Something to note when poking holes in the cake is to not poke all the way through the cake! The jello, of course, seeps all the way to the bottom of the cake and then you don't have that pretty look when you cut into it.
Mar 13, 2018
Mar 12, 2018
My brother's favorite color is green so I made this for his birthday cake. It was so moist. The frosting was delicious. I'll be making this again this weekend for St Patrick's day.
Mar 10, 2018
Mar 5, 2018
Used to make this back in the 70's......my sister loved poke cakes.....any jello or cake you can think of ..always good
Jun 8, 2017
I'm perplexed. The pudding whisked with the milk never thickened. I could only find a 2.75 ounce box. Is that the problem? It's completely liquid. I'll just have to proceed with cool whip only as the frosting.
Mar 17, 2016
Great recipe! A hit with the family!