Wearing o’ Green Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lime gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Green sprinkles
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water and set aside.
- With a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes about 2 in. apart into cooled cake. Slowly pour gelatin over cake. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Decorate with sprinkles. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 303 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 21, 2018
My 11 year old didn't like this....but then she is not a jello fan. My husband liked it and I thought it was okay. Something to note when poking holes in the cake is to not poke all the way through the cake! The jello, of course, seeps all the way to the bottom of the cake and then you don't have that pretty look when you cut into it.
Mar 13, 2018
Mar 12, 2018
My brother's favorite color is green so I made this for his birthday cake. It was so moist. The frosting was delicious. I'll be making this again this weekend for St Patrick's day.
Mar 10, 2018
Mar 5, 2018
Used to make this back in the 70's......my sister loved poke cakes.....any jello or cake you can think of ..always good
Jun 8, 2017
I'm perplexed. The pudding whisked with the milk never thickened. I could only find a 2.75 ounce box. Is that the problem? It's completely liquid. I'll just have to proceed with cool whip only as the frosting.
Mar 17, 2016
Great recipe! A hit with the family!
Mar 16, 2016
Made this cake for the grandkids, THEY LOVED IT!!! Will make again! Great recipe.
Mar 6, 2016
Awesome but with some flavor changes! I used lemon cake mix and jolly rancher watermelon jello and then frosted with lemon pudding. Then to make it a little healthier I used egg beaters and fat free whip topping. Was a big hit with my whole family. Will definitely make again.
Jun 2, 2015
This was easy and so delicious! It took longer to make than to eat it. I precut the cake before I frosted it and by the time I put it on the table and went for a plate for me it was just about gone! :-)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.