Watermelon Spinach Salad
Dark green spinach leaves provide a rich backdrop for brilliant raspberries, cubed watermelon and sliced almonds in this eye-appealing salad. The light vinaigrette is the perfect way to dress up summer's finest produce.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
Makes8 servings (about 1 cup vinaigrette)
- POPPY SEED VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, torn
- 2 cups seeded cubed watermelon
- 1 cup halved green grapes
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard, onion powder and salt. Cover and process until sugar is dissolved. Continue processing while adding oil in a steady stream. Add onion and poppy seeds; process until blended.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, watermelon, grapes and raspberries; sprinkle with almonds. Serve with vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 234 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Watermelon Spinach Salad in Quick Cooking July/August 2001