Here's a sweet treat your children or grandchildren will be more than happy to sink their teeth—and their cookin' fingers into. Contributed by Barbara Yoktede of Waukesha, Wiscosnin, it uses gelatin for the "rind" and "flesh"...and chocolate chips for "seeds"! "Our grandkids like to help make these almost as much as eating them," she reports.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 package (3 ounces) lime gelatin
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) cherry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare lime gelatin according to package directions. Pour into an greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish; chill until slightly firm.
- In a bowl, dissolve cherry gelatin in boiling water. Fold in ice cream; mix until smooth. Pour over lime layer. Sprinkle with chocolate chips; chill until firm. Cut into triangles; serve chilled.
Originally published as Watermelon Slices in Crafting Traditions July/August 1995