Our family celebrates the Fourth of July with a watermelon salad that resembles the flag. Here’s an all-American centerpiece that’s truly red, white and blue. —Jan Whitworth, Roebuck, South Carolina
Featured In: 14 Flag-Shaped Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 6 cups fresh arugula (about 5 ounces)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 5 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 package (8 ounces) feta cheese, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- For vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients; gradually whisk in oil until blended. Stir in onion.
- In a large bowl, lightly toss arugula with 1/4 cup vinaigrette. Arrange evenly in a large rectangular serving dish.
- For stars, place blueberries over arugula at the top left corner. For stripes, arrange watermelon and cheese in alternating rows. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Watermelon Salad with Feta in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016