- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
- 1 package (3 ounces) watermelon gelatin
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2-1/2 cups prepared vanilla or cream cheese frosting, divided
- Red and green gel food coloring
- Chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, gelatin, eggs, water and oil. Beat on low speed just until moistened. beat on high for 2 minutes or until well blended. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons frosting for decorating. Place 1-1/4 cups frosting in a bowl; tint red. Tint remaining frosting green. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup red frosting to within 1/4 in. of edges. Top with second cake. Frost top with remaining red frosting to within 3/4 in. of edges. Frosting sides and top edge with green frosting.
- Place reserved white frosting in a small heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a 1/4-in. hole in one corner. Pipe around top edge of cake where green and pink frosting meets. For seeds, insert chocolate chips upside down into cake top. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forWatermelon Cake
"this is so beautiful"
"I have mixed feelings about this recipe. The cake was delicious, but I couldn't do anything with it because it completly crumbled and fell apart. I made my own white cake, and then I followed the directions to frost it, and it was delicious. I made homemade cream cheese frosting. I give this a 3 star, because the cake crumbled at the slightest touch, but still tasted good by itself, and I like the creativity."
"I did this one in cupcakes and added mini chips to the batter. They were super cute and loved by all."
"I've made this cake twice for my daughter's birthday (she liked it so much she asked for it again). The first time I made it I had to use strawberry jello and it was great. Second time I used watermelon jello and it was just as good. Now my daughter is old enough to bake cakes by herself so maybe she will be the next in our house to attempt this."
"My daughter requested it for her birthday. This was the easiest cake I ever made! I guess I was lucky that our Walmart carries the watermelon jello in winter. The kids LOVED it!!!!!"
"I have made this and just put food coloring in my cake batter to make it pink. It tastes as good and you don't have to worry about finding the jello."
"The only problem is that watermelon jello is seasonal, so I found Jell-O Melon Fusion and it taste just as good."
"I have been using this recipe for years. The only problem is that watermelon jello is seasonal where I live, so I stock up!"