Watermelon Basket Recipe
- 1 large watermelon (10 pounds)
- 1 medium honeydew, cut into balls
- 3 cups white cranberry juice
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- FRUIT DIP:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of watermelon with a sharp knife so it sits flat. Mark horizontal cutting line 2 in. above center and around the melon.
- 2. For handle, score a 1-1/2-in.-wide strip across the top of melon, connecting both sides to the horizontal line. With a long sharp knife, cut all the way through the rind above the cutting line in a zigzag pattern.
- 3. Carefully lift off the side pieces. Remove fruit from both sections and cut into balls. Refrigerate the basket.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine watermelon and honeydew balls. In another bowl, whisk cranberry juice, corn syrup and lime juice until blended; pour over melon balls. Cover and chill for 3 hours.
- 5. Drain; spoon melon into watermelon basket. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and milk until smooth. Beat in sugar, lemon juice and cardamom; serve with melon. Yield: 32 servings.
1 each: 127 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Watermelon Basket
"The presentation was beautiful and I used 7 different fruits to give the basket more variety."