VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large watermelon (10 pounds)
- 1 medium honeydew, cut into balls
- 3 cups white cranberry juice
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- FRUIT DIP:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of watermelon with a sharp knife so it sits flat. Mark horizontal cutting line 2 in. above center and around the melon (see diagram below).
- For handle, score a 1-1/2-in.-wide strip across the top of melon, connecting both sides to the horizontal line. With a long sharp knife, cut all the way through the rind above the cutting line in a zigzag pattern.
- Carefully lift off the side pieces. Remove fruit from both sections and cut into balls. Refrigerate the basket.
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon and honeydew balls. In another bowl, whisk cranberry juice, corn syrup and lime juice until blended; pour over melon balls. Cover and chill for 3 hours.
- Drain; spoon melon into watermelon basket. In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and milk until smooth. Beat in sugar, lemon juice and cardamom; serve with melon. Yield: 32 servings.
Originally published as Watermelon Basket in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p5
Reviews forWatermelon Basket
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 3, 2013
"The presentation was beautiful and I used 7 different fruits to give the basket more variety."
Reviewed Jun. 25, 2012