Wasabi Monte Cristo
I love Monte Cristo sandwiches, but I wanted to try it with some healthier ingredients. The spicy wasabi and sweet mango are a tasty twist on the traditional sandwich. —Susan Riley, Allen, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped, or 2/3 cup frozen mango chunks, thawed
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 2 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey
- 2 ounces thinly sliced smoked deli ham
- 2 ounces sliced baby Swiss cheese
- Mango chutney, optional
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- Combine mayonnaise and wasabi; set aside. In another bowl, combine mango and brown sugar; puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading 2 slices of bread with mayonnaise mixture. Layer slices evenly with turkey, ham and cheese. If desired, spread remaining bread with chutney. Top meat and cheese with remaining bread. Dip sandwiches in egg whites.
- In a large oiled nonstick skillet, brown the sandwiches over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar; halve sandwiches. Serve with mango mixture for dipping and, if desired, mint leaves.