VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 5 black tea bags
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- In a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, combine cardamom pods and peppercorns; grind until aromas are released.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to boil. Add cardamom mixture, honey, cinnamon sticks, cloves, star anise and ginger; simmer 5 minutes or according to taste. Remove from heat. Add tea bags; cover and steep 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat milk. Strain tea, discarding spices and tea bags. Stir in hot milk and vanilla. Pour into mugs. If desired, sprinkle with nutmeg. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Warm Spiced Chai in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p91