Warm Pecan Cabbage Slaw
Marie Hattrup, a field editor from Sparks, Nevada, gives a new twist to this slaw, which she serves warm. The mild mustard flavor and pleasing blend of crisp-tender vegetables and toasted pecans is a nice complement to fish or ham.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine the cabbage, carrot, green onions, water, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender. Drain, if necessary.
- Combine butter and mustard; pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Stir in pecans.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 109 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Mar 24, 2019
Delicious. I substituted walnuts for the pecans. Thank you, Marie, for sharing this recipe.
Jan 12, 2013
we loved this! i used yellow onion, yellow mustard w/ worchestershire sauce and omitted the pecans according to what i had on hand.