Warm Layered Sandwich
Warmed to perfection in the oven, this well-stacked loaf offers hungry diners eight layers of classic sandwich staples, including deli turkey and ham, sliced salami and two types of cheese. Tomato and red onion help round out each mouthwatering wedge. If you have some extra time, keep the loaf in the oven a minute or two longer to melt the cheese to your liking.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 unsliced round loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/4 pound sliced Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 medium plum tomato, sliced
- 3 romaine leaves, torn
- Cut bread in half. Carefully hollow out bottom and top of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread mustard on cut sides of bread.
- On bread bottom, layer with turkey, salami, mozzarella cheese, onion, ham, cheese and tomato. Replace top.
- Wrap in heavy-duty foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until heated through. Place romaine over tomato. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 457 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1442mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Warm Layered Sandwich in Quick Cooking November/December 2004