The gently spiced compote our Test Kitchen staff created is comfort food at its healthiest. Spotlighting wonderful fruit like pears, cherries, apricots, pineapple and cranberries, it makes a beautiful dish that's perfect for a holiday brunch or buffet.
Recommended: Healthy Main Dish Salad Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup apricot nectar
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, melted
- 2 pounds pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) reduced-sugar apricot halves, drained and halved
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, ginger and allspice. Stir in nectar and butter until smooth. Add fruit; stir to coat. Pour into a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Warm Fruit Medley in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p10