Warm Fruit Compote with Cream Cheese Topping
"This sunny-colored medley smells so good while it cooks," says Page Alexander of Baldwin City, Kansas. "The cream cheese topping adds a touch of elegance to individual servings of the not-too-sweet fruit."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced pears, drained and halved
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon thawed orange juice concentrate
- In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water and orange juice concentrate until smooth. Add butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the fruit; heat through.
- In a small bowl, beat the topping ingredients until smooth. Serve with fruit.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 263 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Warm Fruit Compote in Quick Cooking September/October 2002