Orange marmalade is the secret to the easy sauce that Doris Heath spoons over canned pineapple and fresh grapes. The Franklin, North Carolina cook then sprinkles the combination with coconut and broils it to create a warm, fruity surprise.
Recommended: Summer Fruit Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 cups seedless grapes
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 4 teaspoons sweetened shredded coconut
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2/3 cup juice. Combine the pineapple and grapes in a shallow 1-qt. broiler-proof dish.
- In a saucepan, combine marmalade and reserved pineapple juice; cook over medium heat until the marmalade is melted. Pour over fruit. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Broil 5-6 in. from the heat for 3 minutes or until coconut is toasted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Warm Fruit Compote in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p8