Warm Chocolate Cakes
Laura Merkle of Dover, Delaware shares these oh-so-decedent cakes that are sure to receive praises. Our testing panel decided on just one word to describe these fudgy treats: “awesome.”
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 teaspoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat vanilla ice cream
- Coat four 4-oz. ramekins with cooking spray. Sprinkle sides and bottom of each ramekin with 1/2 teaspoon sugar; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cocoa and remaining sugar; stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and oil until butter is melted. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in egg white and vanilla until blended. Add flour and salt; stir just until combined. Place 2 tablespoons cocoa mixture in each prepared ramekin. Layer each with 2 teaspoons chocolate chips and remaining cocoa mixture. Bake at 350° for 17-22 minutes or just until centers are set (centers may appear moist). Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edges of ramekins. Invert cakes onto dessert plates. Top with ice cream; sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 291 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Decadence in Light & Tasty December/January 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.