Warm Chicken Spinach Salad
"Since my husband, Bob, and I are empty nesters, I'm always looking for quick, healthy and eye-appealing dishes for the two of us," writes field editor Shirley Glaab of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. "This pretty main-dish salad has a hint of ginger and a nice crunch from the walnuts."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 thin slices red onion, halved
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- On two salad plates, arrange spinach, oranges, mushrooms and onion; set aside. In a skillet, saute chicken and walnuts in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, ginger, orange juice and vinegar until smooth; stir into the chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Pour over salads and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 484 calories, 25g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Warm Chicken Spinach Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2002