- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat stick margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 12 reduced-fat vanilla wafer
- In the top of a double boiler, combine the sugar substitute, 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over simmering water until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in margarine and vanilla.
- Pour half of the pudding into an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Toss bananas with lemon juice; layer over pudding. Arrange vanilla wafers in a single layer over bananas. Pour remaining pudding over wafers.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over pudding. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forWarm Banana Pudding
"I must admit I was dubious that a makeover recipe could approach the real thing in taste...I come from a long line of banana puddin' makers. I was pleasantly surprised that this recipe comes close. I will definitely make it again."