Warm Apricot Chicken Salad
This colorful salad is topped with marinated sauteed chicken. It's hearty, refreshing and nutritious. Even our kids like the sweet and tangy flavor.—Carolyn Popwell, Lacey, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 fresh apricots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup ranch salad dressing
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, marmalade and soy sauce. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss apricots and orange zest. Place spinach on a serving platter or four salad plates; top with apricots. In a skillet, saute red pepper and chicken mixture in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from heat; stir in salad dressing. Spoon over spinach and apricots; sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 343 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 529mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Warm Apricot Chicken Salad in Taste of Home August/September 2000