Warm Apple-Cinnamon Pastry Twists
For a simple twist on dessert, these fun, tender pastries have all the flavors and spices of apple pie rolled into handheld servings. —Patricia C. Quinn, Omaha, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a shallow bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut each apple into eight wedges.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in.-square; spread with softened butter. Fold dough into thirds. Roll folded dough into a 16x10-in. rectangle; cut crosswise into sixteen 1-in. wide strips. Wrap each strip around an apple wedge.
- Brush tops with melted butter; roll in sugar mixture. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.