Warm Apple-Cinnamon Pastry Twists
For a simple twist on dessert, these fun, tender pastries have all the flavors and spices of apple pie rolled into handheld servings. —Patricia C. Quinn, Omaha, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a shallow bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut each apple into eight wedges.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in.-square; spread with softened butter. Fold dough into thirds. Roll folded dough into a 16x10-in. rectangle; cut crosswise into sixteen 1-in. wide strips. Wrap each strip around an apple wedge.
- Brush tops with melted butter; roll in sugar mixture. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream.
Originally published as SPICY CINNAMON AND NUTMEG APPLE TWISTS in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.