Walnut Wheat Bread Recipe
"My husband and I like this wholesome, nutty bread warm from the oven," says Rosadene Herold of Lakeville, Indiana.
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, walnuts, brown sugar, butter, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water, yogurt and butter to 120°-130°; stir into flour mixture. Add enough of the remaining all-purpose to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into a 15-in. rope. Place the ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 133 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Walnut Wheat Bread
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC