Walnut-Swirl Lemon Loaves
Here's a rich yeasty loaf, swirled with walnuts, that's a treat any time of year. Drizzled with a light lemony glaze, it also makes a lip-smacking yuletide gift.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes3 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, oil, salt, lemon zest, eggs and 2 cups flour, beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in thirds. Roll each portion into a 13x12-in. rectangle. Combine condensed milk and lemon juice until blended; spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks; brush with butter. Cool completely.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; stir in lemon juice. Drizzle over bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 189 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.